MuscleNerd recently told us on Twitter that the new Redsn0w version will come with the support to downgrade iPhone 4S, iPad 2 and iPad 3 from iOS 5.1.1 to iOS 5.1, 5.0.1 and 5.0. iPhone Dev Team didn’t take much time and within few days they have released Redsn0w 0.9.11b1 for the general public with downgrade support for all new Apple devices.
It’s worth noting that downgrade support for iPhone 4S and iPad 2 is limited to firmware 5.0 and newer versions which means that you can use untethered jailbreak on both these devices but at the same time The New iPad can be downgraded only to iOS 5.1. Apple’s latest tablet was shipped with version 5.1, therefore, it seems to be the reason behind this limitation. Similar is the case with iPhone 4S; it was shipped with iOS 5.
The process to downgrade is quite simple and you can do it even without using iTunes but before reading out the whole process, you should read important note to avoid any trouble.
- As usual, this process requires saved SHSH Blobs with APTicket saved on Cydia or on your Computer. If you ever opened Cydia on iPhone 4S or iPad 2, Cydia might have saved it automatically for you when Apple was signing that firmware. You can see SHSH Blobs saved for different firmware above Welcome message in Cydia.
- This procedure is designed in such a way that it firstly upgrades your device to the latest iOS which means that your device baseband also updates itself to the latest baseband. Therefore, people who are relying on unlock should avoid this method.
How To Downgrade iOS 5.1.1 To 5.0.1 On iPhone 4S, iPad 2, 5.1 On iPad 3
2. Connect your device to Computer and head over to “Extras”.
3. Now click on “Even More” and then “Restore”.
4. Redsn0w will now present you with three different options. Choose “IPSW” and browse the iOS IPSW file you want to downgrade to. After this, it’ll ask you for iOS 5.1.1 firmware file. You can download it from here.
5. Now there are two options left; “Local” or “Remote”. If SHSH Blobs are saved on your Computer, choose local option and point it to file with .plist extension but if they are saved on Cydia, choose “Remote” option. Redsn0w will automatically fetch them.
6. Select “Next” and leave the rest of the process on Redsn0w. After some time your iDevice will be downgraded to your desired iOS.
Follow Us on Twitter, and Like Our Facebook Page to get latest Apple, Jailbreak and Unlock News and Tutorials.