Folks with older basebands who have updated their iPhone 4 or 3GS to iOS 5.1.1 would be happy to know that Ultrasn0w fixer has been updated and it now supports iOS 5.1.1 which means that they can now unlock their devices on Apple’s latest firmware.
Although, you can now unlock iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 on particular basebands but if you also want untethered jailbreak and you haven’t yet updated your Smartphone to firmware 5.1.1, then it’s advisable to stay away from it because untethered jailbreak for this iOS version is not out yet.
We’re wondering why iPhone Dev Team hasn’t updated Ultrasn0w since December? Since then, Apple has released two firmware updated 5.1 and 5.1.1 but every time unlockers have been forced to rely on Ultrasn0w Fixer.
The process to use this tool is quite simple but still we’re going to cover the steps so our readers don’t get confused. Before proceeding further, check out the baseband of your phone from Settings > General > About. Check if it matches with any of the following supported basebands.
- 01.59.00 (iPhone 4)
- 06.15.00 (iPad BB installed in iPhone 3GS over BB 5.16.05)
This tutorial requires your device to be jailbroken on iOS 5.1.1 with custom firmware. Custom firmware helps in preserving your device baseband before restoring.
1. Open Cydia from Springboard and head over to Manage > Sources. Tap on “Edit” then “Add” and add the following repository.
2. After adding above Repo, install “Ultrasn0w fixer for 5.1.1″ which would be present under the Repo you just added.
3. After installing it, search for “Ultrasn0w” in Cydia and install it.
4. Finally, reboot your device and your phone will be unlocked.
If you’re facing any difficulty in the process to unlock iPhone 3GS, 4 feel free to tell us in comments.
Follow Us on Twitter, and Like Our Facebook Page to get latest Apple, Jailbreak and Unlock News and Tutorials.